As part of the “In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme“ DAAD offers scholarships for PhD studies. The programme is funded by the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and aims at university staff in the first line, without neglecting the public sector demand of academically trained personnel
Application Deadline: 15th December 2020
Eligible Countries: African countries
To Be Taken At (Country): AERC Member Universities in Eastern Africa: Makerere University (Uganda), Sokoine University of Agricultural Sciences (Tanzania), Egerton University & University of Nairobi (Kenya), Haramaya University (Ethiopia)
Eligible Fields:The In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme supports studies in subject areas with strong relevance to national development.
The scholarships at AERC are available in the following fields:
• PhD in Agriculture Economics
Target Groups: The target group for scholarships are graduates and postgraduates from SubSaharan Africa with a Master’s degree who want to pursue PhD courses, either
- in their home country (In-Country scholarships are aimed at students who study in their home country or in the country for which they have a residence permit.)
– or –
- in another Sub-Saharan African country (In-Region scholarships are aimed at students who want to participate in a study programme in a country of their home region (here: Kenya/outside their home country).
Eligibility: Applicants must meet the following DAAD criteria:
- have successfully completed generally a two-year university Master’s degree (doctoral candidates) with above average results (at least: Second Class/Upper Division if applicable)
- clearly show motivation and strong commitment
- have thorough knowledge of the language of instruction
- have generally completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application
- must be nationals or permanent residents of a Sub-Saharan African country
- should generally be a) staff member of a public university, b) candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public sector and/or d) Alumni of the DAFI-programme
- Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
- Please note: AERC might have additional requirements for admission to the institution.
Number of Awards: 6
Value of Award: Full funding (see details below)
Duration of Program: Scholarships are available for up to a maximum of three years, initially granted for one year and may be extended upon individual request and receipt of a complete application by using forms to be provided. The duration of the PhD programme is 3 years.
How to Apply: Interested applicants must submit their applications for admission directly to the respective host universities (application procedure can be obtained from the respective university websites). Upon receipt of an admission letter, temporary admission letter or letter assuring admission from the specific university, the applicant should apply for scholarship by submitting the following documents via http://scholarships.aercafrica.org/ not later than February 20, 2019
- Signed curriculum vitae; please use the Europass CV template (http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu)
- A signed copy of the DAAD Information Sheet for Students
- Certified copies of all university degree certificates
- Certified copies of all university transcripts
- At least temporary admission letter including fee structure of respective course (original or certified copy only), or an official letter assuring admission
- Letter of motivation (Maximum 2 pages)
- For faculty members, a reference letter from the Head of Department as a proof of employment (original
- PhD proposals which must demonstrate relevance to agricultural development
- Two (2) recommendation letters from academic referees who are at least Senior Lecturer in rank.