The Luc Hoffmann Institute, the African Leadership University’s School of Wildlife Conservation and the WWF Regional Office for Africa are launching a global innovation challenge.
Application Deadline: 15th October 2020
About the Award: We aim to discover and incubate new revenue models that do not depend on tourism, but still enable local communities within African countries to derive income from wildlife, manage their natural resources sustainably, and improve their collective wellbeing. Participants have the chance to win a place in the African Leadership University’s incubation programme and access to seed money.
Eligibility: Innovators from around the world are welcome to apply, especially people from non-traditional backgrounds and those with strong ties to rural communities in Africa.
- Who: Any individual or team with bold ideas from around the world may apply, but we are especially seeking solutions from within Africa itself, and we will look favourably at applications from within the continent. On the application form, applicants must demonstrate their strong links to the geographic context of their idea.
- Age: There is no age limit for applicants. However, to be considered for the ALU incubation programme, the team lead must be at least 18 years old and teams may have a maximum of 3 members.
- Language: Submissions must be in English, but we strongly encourage both native and non-native English speakers to apply. No judgements will be made on language proficiency. Please note: the ALU incubation programme offered to selectees is conducted in English.
- Sector: We strongly encourage teams composed of people from different sectors, and particularly from outside the conservation sector. Applicants do not need a history of working on conservation-related projects or ideas.
Selection Criteria: We are calling for submissions from anyone from any sector or background with bold and sustainable ideas for concepts, projects, businesses or products. Ideas must meet the following criteria for consideration:
- Generates value (economic, social and cultural) for local community(ies) in Africa from wildlife or natural resources
- Does not rely on tourism to generate revenue
- Empowers communities with decision-making power and ensures their rights, dignity and livelihoods are a priority
- Demonstrates to be feasible, financially sustainable and potentially scalable
- Aims to improve the conditions for wildlife and natural resources.
All eligible applications will be evaluated by a panel of experts from the partnering organisations based on these criteria.
Eligible Countries: Global
Number of Awards: 15
Value & Duration of Award:
- A place in the ALU’s incubation programme and access to seed money.
- Up to 15 ideas will be selected. Successful applicants will win a place in the African Leadership University’s 8-month incubation programme, culminating in a public pitch to top investors. The programme commences in February 2021 and will run over eight months. It is a part-time, virtual programme.
How to Apply: You are encouraged to submit your application as early as possible. GO TO APPLICATION FORM
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.