Deadline: June 19, 2020
Applications are invited for the APHRC African Doctoral Dissertation Research Fellowship Program 2020. The APHRC is pleased to announce this call for applications to support Master’s and PhD students in institutions of higher learning in Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania to contribute to the evidence generation and knowledge translation in sanitation and Fecal Waste Management in urban areas of East Africa.
Through these fellowships, APHRC hopes to build a networked cohort of well-trained scholars able to generate high quality research and interact with policymakers and practitioners on issues around sanitation management policy and practice, especially on fecal waste management.
The primary outcome is established collaborative, evidence-informed leadership in East Africa that will drive progress toward achievement of international goals and targets such as SDG 6 and the Ngor declaration. The fellowship will primarily support research (including data collection and/or analysis) and applicants must show evidence of enrollment in a Master or PhD program at a university in any of the three countries.
- Each fellowship award will be up to a maximum of USD 12,000 for Master’s students and USD 25,000 for Doctoral students. This amount comprises a completion award of USD 2,000 that is only payable after successful thesis defense.
- Applicants can budget for a laptop computer and analytical software (e.g. STATA, SPSS, NVivo, Atlas/ti); research/data collection costs; and participation in one regional or international conference or workshop.
- Be citizens or permanent residents of Kenya, Uganda or Tanzania;
- Show evidence of enrollment in a Master or PhD program at a university in Kenya, Uganda or Tanzania;
- Have completed all pre-dissertation requirements; for example, a research concept approved by the Department;
- Provide a detailed timeframe for completing their dissertation which must be endorsed by the Head of Department or the chair of the dissertation committee;
- Show competency and ability to complete their research within 12 months for MSc students and 24 months for PhD students.
applications will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Candidate’s scientific background and potential to develop a strong research career
- Scientific merit of the proposed research project including originality of research question(s); integration of social or technological innovations; clarity and adequacy of the study design; demonstrated knowledge of relevant/current literature; detailed analysis plan; ethical considerations, etc.
- Research environment including commitment of main supervisors and department to facilitate timely completion of the dissertation. Candidates are expected to have a supervisor or dissertation committee of persons who fully understand the depth and breadth of sanitation and hygiene issues,
- Well-elaborated statement on the policy relevance of the research, and
- Budget summary and justification, including clear plan to complete the dissertation within the set timelines
All application materials must be received by 11:59pm (Nairobi time) on June 19, 2020. Applications must include the following documents to be considered (Applications not meeting these requirements will not be reviewed):
- A completed application form. This form must be submitted electronically in MS Word format.
- Proof of citizenship or permanent residence in Uganda (e.g. copy of passport or other national identification);
- Two letters of reference (at least one must come from the proposed faculty member with knowledge of applicant’s academic potential and must document how the candidate’s proposed research trajectory fits into ongoing research programs in the department). Referees’ contact information must be provided in the application form. For PhD student applicants, one reference letter must come from the academic supervisor at their MSc/MA Thesis, clearly indicating the research potential of the candidate.
- Submit your proposed research concept of no more than two pages and a motivation letter.
- Evidence that the research concept has undergone faculty level review and received approval from an approved ethical review board and the dissertation committee or is under review for the same.
- Candidates from Uganda are encouraged to apply.
The application form and supporting documents should be submitted in a single email to [email protected]
For more information, visit APHRC.