Deadline: June 4, 2020
Applications for the Dorcas Muthoni PhD Fellowship 2020 are now open. The Fellowship will be part of the Doctoral programme in Information and Communication Technologies (ICT), that covers many of the most important research topics in the information society grouped into four main areas: cognitive and intelligent systems, audiovisual technologies, networks and communications, and computational biology and biomedical systems.
The main objectives of this fellowship are:
- To promote gender equality & contribute to reduce the gender gap in ICT; by facilitating more women pursuing scientific/technological/engineering careers and lowering the barriers women face when pursuing careers in STEM disciplines
- To share excellent research with African female researchers during their PhD Studies. Their ICT department consists of more than 20 research groups who are very active in international research projects (e.g. currently active in 38 H2020 research projects) and nationally they have the Spanish research excellence seal Maria de Maeztu). The Maria de Maeztu Strategic Research Program is a 4 year research initiative funded by the Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness to promote data-driven knowledge extraction research within the department.
- To contribute to future social impact in African countries. The applicants are expected to return to their African home country after completion of their PhD studies in order to pursue a career related to ICT there.
Students will pursue doctoral studies in one of the Research Areas of the department which includes: Cognition, Computation and Robotics, Artificial Intelligence and Theoretical Computer Science, Natural Language Processing, Ubiquitous Computing, Information Retrieval and Data Mining, Cognitive Multimedia Technologies, Image Processing and Computer Vision, Image Processing for Enhanced Cinematography, Sound and Music Computing, Human-Computer Interaction, Graphics and Educational Technologies, Network Technologies and Strategies, Wireless Communications, Information Theory and Coding, Computational Neuroscience, Instrumentation and Biomedical Electronics, Computational Imaging and Computational Physiology, Analysis of Biomedical Data and Non-Linear Signal Analysis.
- They offer a predoctoral contract with a minimum gross monthly salary of €1,343 for the first and second years, and a gross monthly salary of €1,439 for the third year.
- PRC includes a teaching assistance load of 45 hours per academic year.
- The fellowship will also include a startup/Landing Fund to facilitate the fellow’s initial expenditure. The fund will be for the amount of €2,000.
- This PhD fellowship seeks doctoral applications from talented African female students (only African nationality applicants will be considered) with strong research interests.
- Candidates for PhD positions must hold an M.Sc degree or equivalent.
- Excellent Academic record of the candidate
- Motivation letter:
- Candidates expected contribution to the promotion of ICT gender equality
- Future expected social and economic impact (Africa)
Below are the two applications and motivation letter you need to complete when applying for this fellowship:
- Application to the UPF ICT PhD programme
- Read carefully the Eligibility requirements in this link
- It is compulsory to submit in your application a support letter from your potential supervisor in DTIC.
- Complete this application form to the ICT PhD programme
- Application to the Dorcas Muthoni PhD Fellowship
- Motivation letter
- The applicant should explain her motivation to apply to this fellowship and the expected impact after the end of her PhD studies in terms of the ICT gender equality and social impact in Africa.
- Digital copy of your Passport
For more information, visit Dorcas Muthoni PhD Fellowship.