UNU-IAS welcomes applicants with:
- a keen interest in the pressing global issues on the UN agenda and in particular those of sustainability;
- an aspiration to pursue careers in international fields in public service or private organizations, including the United Nations, multinational corporations and non-governmental organizations as well as research and academic institutions;
- the intention to proactively apply academic research findings to policymaking; and
- a strong desire to contribute to the solving of problems concerning global environment, through an interdisciplinary approach.
Applicants for the Master of Science in Sustainability are required to have met the following requirements by the application deadline in order to be considered. Those who wish to participate a double degree programme between UNU-IAS and the Department of Urban Engineering in the Graduate School of Engineering at the University of Tokyo must be shortlisted by the University of Tokyo before submitting application to UNU-IAS.
- A strong interest in sustainability studies;
- Demonstrated commitment to study and understand global issues;
- A completed bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) from a recognized university or institution of higher education in a field related to sustainability (Those who expect to graduate and have a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent conferred before September 2020 may also apply.);
- A GPA of 3.5 or above on a 4.0 scale for the bachelor’s degree earned;
- English language proficiency.
Please see the section below for more details.
English Language Requirements
The minimum score requirements for English language qualifications required by UNU-IAS are:
- 600 on TOEFL – Paper-Based Testing (PBT) OR
- 100 on TOEFL – Internet-Based Testing (IBT) OR
- 7.0 on IELTS – Academic format
Applicants, except for the cases below, must submit original TOEFL or IELTS score reports (from a test taken within the last two years) to Admissions Office at the time of application:
- Applicants whose first language is English.
- Applicants who graduated from a university or a postgraduate school located in an English speaking country.
- Applicants who completed an undergraduate or postgraduate degree programme where the language of instruction and examination was English. In this case, an official statement from the academic institution will be required, confirming the use of English as the language of instruction and examination.
UNU-IAS requires original TOEFL/IELTS score reports (no photocopies accepted).
- TOEFL: Please order an official score report using an institution code 6991. For more information on TOEFL, please visit https://www.ets.org/toefl/
- IELTS: Please request that an official report be sent directly to UNU-IAS. For more information on IELTS, please visit https://www.ielts.org/
Application Processing Fee: None
Tuition Fee: 10,000 USD per year
Estimated total expenses for the master’s degree programme for 2 years including tuition are approximately 56,000 USD. Applicants must show financial resources adequate to meet the full costs of educational and living expenses.