Journalist Jobs, Communications Jobs in Kenya, WE Movement Jobs
WE is a movement that believes when we come together we can create an even better world.
WE makes it easy for you to get involved – whether at home, school or work – by offering resources to help you create positive social change in your community and around the world.
- We are looking for a talented story teller with strong writing skills to join our team in Kenya to capture the stories of impact that take place in the communities where WE Villages works.
- This role involves gathering content from the communities we work with in Narok County to produce quality online print and video blogs, and assist with reporting needs for our flagship development model WE Villages.
- The position involves project management, interviewing, writing for web, writing for video, filming, photography, comfort being on camera, and the ability and sensitivity to draw out meaningful stories from the communities we work with and tell them in an engaging way.
- This position is best suited to a journalist with experience and interest in development work and working with marginalized communities.
- The ideal candidate will have strong writing abilities, impeccable research and interview skills and a firm understanding of journalistic practices.
- The candidate will be well informed on issues affecting the local populations of Narok country (particularly the Kipsigis and Maasai), have a passion for social change, and a desire to tell the stories of the communities we work with in those areas.
- The candidate will have a willingness to be coached and a desire to develop stronger skills. Training will be provided.
- The position will be based out of the WE Village office in Narok County, with travel to Nairobi as required.
- The position is available immediately.
Story Telling and Project Management
- Plan and implement monthly content needs, including print and video blogs, and in-depth interviews and testimonials.
- Identify stories of change and research, interview, and tell stories (through print, photography, and video) in style in line with the organization’s editorial needs.
- Active communication with Kenya report and editorial team in Toronto.
- Adapt to organization’s voice and style.
- Fluent in Swahili and English.
- Excellent writing skills
- Experience with photography and interest in filming
- Engaging speaker, and willingness to be on camera
- Good research, interviewing and reporting skills
- Good journalistic intuition
- Ability to adapt to suggestions provided
- Need initiative and ability to work independently
- Excellent editing skills, both copy editing and for content
- Must have an ability to improve copy, as well as perform rewrites or reshoot, where required
- Work quickly and handle deadline pressure
- Willingness to learn and be coached
- A Minimum of a Diploma in Journalism or Mass Communication from a reputable University/College
- Experience in journalism and story collection
- Background, education and/or in-depth experience with writing for web, a newspaper or related experience
- Minimum 2 years of writing experience — samples required
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Able to meet demanding deadlines, producing high quality work and project a positive attitude
- Willing to be a dedicated member of the team with a positive and flexible attitude
How to Apply
WE are delighted to have you join our journey to bring about change in the world. WE are proud and excited to have you as part of our team!
WE sincerely thank all those who will apply, however only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please send your cover letter and resume (indicating your current salary) to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 29th February 2020
Quick Read >>> Motivational Tips For Your Job search